Healthy Lunch Ideas: Recipes, Tips, and ideas for quick meals
Healthy Lunch Ideas
For most people, finding the right meals for lunch is a struggle especially when they find themselves without dinner left-overs. In the midst of a busy day at work, the easiest alternative would be to buy lunch even though they don’t like it. There are many healthier and super easy lunch ideas that will give you nutritious and delicious meals.
You could go for either cold salad or hot lunch ideas. Both are super easy to prepare.
Salads are healthy, delicious, portable, and have some staying power. They are perfect for lunches. And meal preps for salads are quick and easy. You’ll be done in no time.
Some of the salad recipes you can try include:
1. Fresh salmon with Thai noodle salad
Meal prep time is 20 minutes.
· 2 skinless salmon fillets
· A large orange, the juice and zest of half the orange and the rest peeled and chopped
· 125g of trimmed and halved French beans
· 50g mange tout
· 75g frozen peas
· 75g vermicelli rice noodles
· 2 tsp red curry paste
· 1tsp fish sauce
· 3 spring onions, finely chopped
· Half a pack of basil or coriander, chopped
· Bring a pan of water to boil and line a steamer with baking parchment. Add the beans to the boiling water and put the salmon with a little orange zest in the steamer on top and cook for 5 min
· Once the salmon is cooked, set it aside. Add the peas and mange tout to the pan and cook for some more time. When the veggies are cooked drain them but return the boiling water to the pan and soak the noodles for 5 min
· Place the curry paste, fish sauce, orange juice, zest and spring onions in a salad bowl. Drain the noodles when cooked and add them to the salad bowl. Toss them well before adding the chopped orange with basil or coriander and the cooked vegetables. Serve your salad in bowls with the salmon on top
2. Green club sandwich
This one is super easy to create and the meal prep time is only 1o minutes
· 3 slices of wholegrain or rye toast
· 3tbsp of ready-made hummus
· 1 small, sliced avocado
· 1 handful of rocket leaves
· 8-12 sliced cherry tomatoes
· Toast the bread and evenly spread the hummus on one side of each slice.
· On one slice, lay half the avocado, rocket and tomato. Season with pepper and cover with the other slice
· Pile the rest of the avocado, rocket and tomato, season it and top with the third slice
Hot lunch meals
1. Mexican penne with avocado
Meal prep time is 10 minutes and cooking time is 20 minutes
· 100g of whole meal penne
· 1tsp of rapeseed oil
· 1 large onion sliced and 1tbsp finely chopped
· 1 deseeded orange pepper cut into chunks
· 2 grated garlic cloves
· 2tsp of chili powder
· 1tsp ground coriander
· 1/2tsp cumin seeds
· 400g chopped tomatoes
· 196g can of sweetcorn in water
· 1tsp vegetable bouillon powder
· 1 avocado, chopped
· ½ lime, zest and juice
· Chopped coriander
· Cook the pasta in salted water for 10-12 minutes. Heat the oil in a medium pan and add the sliced onion and pepper. Fry while stirring till they are golden. Put in the garlic, spices, tomatoes, and half a can of water, corn and bouillon. Let them simmer for 15 minutes
· Toss the avocado with lime, juice, zest and the finely chopped onion
· Drain the penne pasta. Toss into the sauce with the coriander.
· Serve the pasta in bowls with avocado on the top and scattered coriander
2. Red lentil and carrot soup
Meal prep is 5 minutes and cook time is 20 minutes
· 1 finely sliced white onion
· 2 tsp of olive oil
· 3 sliced garlic cloves
· 2 diced carrots
· 85g red lentils
· 1 vegetable stock cube
· Chopped sprigs of parsley
· Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. Fry them for 2 minutes then add the garlic and carrots. Cook them briefly. As you do this, boil some water in a kettle
· Pour in a liter of the boiling water from the kettle. Stir in the lentils and stock cube. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Take them off the heat and stir in the parsley.
· Serve your soup in bowls and add in some more parsley if you like
3. Courgette, potato and cheddar soup
This is a freezable soup that takes only 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook
· 500g of unpeeled and chopped
· 2 vegetable stock cubes
· 1 kg of roughly chopped courgettes
· Sliced spring onion
· 100g extra-mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative, grated
· Fresh nutmeg
· Put the potatoes in a large pan with water just enough to cover them. Crumble in the stock cubes. Bring them to a boil. Add the courgettes and cover once again for 5 minutes. Add in the spring onion and cook for 5 minutes
· Take the pan off the heat then stir in the cheese. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Blend and whip to a thick soup and add hot water until desired consistency
· Serve with scattered with extra grated cheddar, spring onions and nutmeg. You can also decide to cool and freeze in bags and containers and it can last for 3 months.
4. Indian chickpea vegetable soup
This soup is super easy to prepare and you can easily carry it to work.
· 1tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 chopped large onion
· 1tsp finely grated ginger
· 1 chopped garlic clove
· 1tbsp garam masala
· 850ml vegetable stock
· 2 large carrots quartered length ways
· 400g chickpea
· 100g chopped green bean
· Heat oil in a pan and add onion, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2 minutes and add garam masala. Add the stock and carrots after 1 minute. Let it simmer for 10 minutes before adding the chickpeas
· Using a stick blender, blend and whip the soup a little. Stir in the beans and allow it to simmer for 3 minutes.
· Pack into a flask. It goes greatly with naan bread
These are just some of the super easy lunch recipes that you can try out as healthier alternatives for lunch.